Monday, November 4, 2013

My Energizer Drink

     I have a midterm exam this Wednesday, and I am worried because I am almost running out of time to study for it.  Between working almost 40 hours a week and attending to other commitments, I often find it hard getting the time and the energy to study for my classes.  Today, I had to be at work at 9am, but I woke up at 4 in the morning so I could do some studying before work.  Nevertheless, I have to admit that getting out of my bed was a grueling task, especially in this frigid weather.  Even after I washed my face, I still felt drowsy.  I did not become fully energized for the day until I got to Starbucks and had my daily fix: a venti-sized cup of hot coffee. 

     For many people, especially adults, having a cup of coffee is part of their morning routine.  They need coffee to perk themselves up,  stop themselves from yawning, and so on.  Now the big question: what is in coffee that produces this stimulating effect in people?  Read on.

     The principal psychoactive chemical in coffee is caffeine.  Caffeine belongs to a class of drugs called stimulants.  As its name implies, caffeine stimulates the body.  It exerts its effect by targeting the central nervous system.  It produces increased alertness, increased focus and attention, and better motor coordination and movement.  If consumed in high quantity, it can also raise the body's metabolic rate and blood pressure. 

     So it is the caffeine in coffee that gives me and countless other people a jolt of stimulation every morning.

My daily cup of Starbucks coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment